CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, April 29, 2006





"I love people. I love my family, my children . . . but inside myself is a place where I live all alone and that's where you renew your springs that never dry up." - Pearl S. Buck

My springs are parched today. It's a sad commentary that 6 years ago being sick and in bed on a beautiful spring weekend would have caused great consternation, yet today I would sell my soul for a day in bed with naps, books and grown-up television! Kate is now sick, too...not enough to make her tired and compliant; just enough that I need to change her diaper with a bit more frequency. Everyone is grumpy. There has been a lot of infighting amongst the Turman girls, and a bit more yelling on my part than I would like to admit. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

I'm "renewing my springs" a bit by listening to Pandora (see link), my new favorite site thanks to Clare's "life partner"(inside joke) Derek. If you aren't familiar with Pandora, you type in an artist or song that you like, and it creates a "station" of similar music. I'm blaring a little funk and some Jayhawks-like stuff and counting the hours (minutes, seconds) until bedtime for my munchkins.

We did make it to the beach today (sans William; India told Tracy "I have germs in my body and I might give them to William so he couldn't come, and that just makes me sad"). Cape Charles is the first place we visited when considering moving to The Shore, and just fell in love with it. We stayed in one of the B&Bs in the picture above; this row of houses faces the water. This is a bayside town, unlike the seaside town of Wachapreague pictured in a previous blog. Since the Bay is historically (and sadly, continues to be) a dumping ground for trash, Cape Charles beach is a great spot for adding to my sea glass collection/obsession. Beautiful stuff.

I'm finding myself increasingly frustrated with my digital camera. I think the problem is part stubborn, old-fashioned technophobe on my part, and part older, cheaper technology on the camera's part. I will frame the perfect shot, press the button, and what seems like 12 minutes later the subject has moved and the look is lost. I am longing for my 35mm...had some gorgeous shots of the girls and an osprey with seaweed for it's nest that were long gone before I heard the "click"!

Tracy and the boys are having a GREAT time at Merlefest. They went to bed at 4 am (their cue that it was bedtime was John falling out of his chair...'til then they "just weren't ready"), slept 'til 10am and are enjoying some wonderful music. Can't wait to sample some of the artists and we'll pass on recommendations to anyone interested.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought of your kids today and their obsession with all things Lion King. My kids are OCD for Willie Wonka (not the Depp version). They sing the songs and do the dances. Andrew cracked us up today while he was heading to the john singing "poopa, poopa, poopity do...". I thought that was a pretty clever improv.

The newer (and nicer) digital cameras have instant response so you don't miss the shots. Let me know if you're interested in a Sony model because I still get the discount.

da Boyds

The Turmanators said...

I LOVE that movie, too and will not see the new one on principle...but I know it would scare the bejesus out of the girls (the acid induced peppermint boat scene).

I might just take you up on the camera discount...don't you think I deserve a nice Mother's Day present? I'll hint to Big T.

Delane said...

The Good Earth by Pearl S Buck is a favorite of mine and I have a couple of quotes from it that I like. "When the rich are too rich there are ways and when the poor are too poor there are ways." is one of them.
And speaking of China, our movie filter is stricter than their Internet firewall. If we question at all if a movie is too big, then we just don't risk it. The worst recent case of me dropping the ball though was when I was busy with something and let Jackson watch the first Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie on TV without watching it with him. I forgot about all the parts that would freak him out. He couldn't go to sleep for weeks afterwards without someone laying down with him. Amy finally had to "call" the president so that he could make a law against ever showing the movie again. He was better after that.